Just Follow the I-25…
This Monday we dove right into the professional world by attending a meeting at DORA (Department of Regulatory Agencies) headquarters in Denver.
The Office of Barbers and Cosmetology is updating the rules and regulations, and the scope of practice for all barbers, hairstylists, nail technicians, and estheticians. The office was kind enough to host this meeting for all stakeholders to attend to share their input into the new draft of rules.
If you’re a Colorado barber or cosmetologist, you can view DORA’s site here.
Here’s a sample of what I learned at that meeting:
- That office didn’t care that the AC was on when it was only 50 degrees out. It was way too cold in there.
- The board stakeholders had to appeal to was way less scary than I had feared. No flying monkeys or anything.
- There is a difference between a barber and a hairstylist.
- People really care about eyelash and eyebrow tinting, and eyelash lifting / perming.
- They also really care about scalp massage during a facial.
We stopped for lunch in the area and got to meet and speak with another local esthetician, then we clicked the heels of our ruby slippers and went home.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to have gone to this meeting – I feel more involved in the agency that effectively governs what I will be able to do once I graduate. I also feel empowered to attend these meetings in the future when I won’t have the safety net of the company of my classmates and instructors.